It’s been a mixed year for Instagram, their explosive user growth and innovative new features have been mixed in with some internal turmoil within the company, which ultimately resulted in its founders, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, leaving.
However, that doesn’t overshadow some of the incredible figures that the company has produced in the past 12 months, making the platform more interactive and engaging for its users. As a marketer, I’m constantly asked the question by small business owners “Does Instagram matter to my business?” or “Should I invest time into Instagram?” The short answer to this is yes.
Instagram is by far the fastest growing and most interactive social network on the web right now, and figuring out how you can create a unique brand and generate revenue from the platform could be just the thing that takes your business to the next level, but don’t take my word for it. Below I’ve listed 10 Instagram statistics that marketers should take note of when developing their Instagram strategy for the year ahead.
- One Billion monthly active users
- 59% of users are under the age of 30
- 72% of teenagers use Instagram every day
- 80% of Instagram users are based outside of the United States
- 35% of adults that are active online using Instagram
- 22% of Instagram users log in to the app daily
- 25% of smartphone users Instagram
- Users ‘like’ 4.2 Billion posts per day
- Users post 400 million stories per day
- There has been an 80% increase in year by year in video use on the platform
- 72% of users have bought a product that they first saw on Instagram
- There are 25 million businesses on Instagram
- 71% of US businesses use Instagram
- There are now 2 million advertisers on Instagram
- 80% of users follow at least 1 business on Instagram
- 60% users discover products on Instagram
- 90% of the world’s top 100 brands are now on Instagram
- Android users spend on average 53 minutes per day on the app
- Users post 95 million posts per day on the app
- People under the age of 25 use Instagram on average 32 minutes per day
In an era where these numbers are duplicating year over year, marketers should look at which ones affect them the most. It’s evident from the above that users are beginning to use Instagram as a place where they evaluate products and influence their purchasing decisions.
With more than 25 million businesses now using the platform, and 72% of users admitting that they’ve bought a product that they have seen via the social network, it is no wonder that Instagram is doubling down on e-commerce features. The question is, can your business really afford not to have a clean, professional looking brand on Instagram as we move into 2019?
Let us know below if you’ve already begun building a presence on the platform, or if the statistics above have influenced to do so.